MATLAB: Configuring Remote Submission
This page contains instructions for submitting jobs to the Ithaca cluster from your desktop.
Note: You will need an account on Ithaca before you are able to submit jobs to the cluster.
Note: In version R2012a, MathWorks replaced the terminology "Configuration" with "Profile". So just be aware that we mean the same thing when we use those two terms.
Note: This procedure was streamlined in April 2012 to replace a manual import and setup with a simple script. This method has been successfully tested on R2012a, R2011b, and R2011a. If you run into problems with this method, or would like to configure an older version of MATLAB, you may find the older directions here.
Configure Matlab support files for remote submission
- Download the appropriate files for your release of Matlab:
- Unzip the zip archive and copy the contents to the local toolbox directory
- Windows: The default local toolbox location is C:\Program Files\MATLAB\(Version Number)\toolbox\local
- Mac OS X: The default local toolbox location is /Applications/MATLAB_(Version Number).app/toolbox/local. In order to view or edit the contents of the application package, open /Applications in a Finder window. Then right-click the application and select "View Package Contents." Then navigate to the appropriate directory.
Create the Matlab parallel configuration
- Download the Configuration Setup Script.
- Open Matlab.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the setup script.
- Run the script (you can simply type parallelProfile at the command line) and follow the instructions.
- If the script completes successfully, your configuration should be complete.
Validate the configuration
- Click Start Validation
- When prompted, enter your VT PID as your user ID.
- If asked whether you want to log in with an identity file, select 'No' and then enter your password.
- It is normal for the matlabpool validation to fail. If the other stages are successful, then configuration is complete. If one of the other validation stages (Find Resource, Distributed Job, or Parallel Job) fails, contact an administrator with the following information:
- A screenshot of your MATLAB configuration
- A list of the relevant directories in your /home directory on Ithaca. Many configuration problems are related to the directories listed in the ParallelSubmitFcn and SubmitFcn fields (or, in R2012a or later, the IndependentSubmitFcn and CommunicatingSubmitFcn fields) of the configuration not matching what is listed in the MATLAB configuration.
- The error report from the validation. To get this, click "Details..." next to one of the stages.